Hey guys ,In this tutorial, I will be showing you that how you can easily create your own wi-fi hotspot without the need to install any software.
Wi-Fi are the best connectivity solution in today’s world. It makes internet and file sharing lot easier than it was before. It also provides quick and efficient one-click connectivity for multiple devices simultaneously. Sometimes, you may need to set up a WiFi hotspot for file sharing or internet sharing etc., but you may not always have a software like “Connectify” available at your disposal. What that software does is that it uses your Wi-Fi adapter (the device you use to connect to a WiFi hotspot) and converts it to a portable & quick Wi-Fi hotspot just like the router at your home (although with not so many customizations except for SSID & Password & Security Type).Connectify also has a 90 minute limitation on hotspot, so I do no recommend using it.
Now this software is obviously handy, but geeks want to do things themselves than some piece of software doing it for them. Also, you may, for unexpected reasons, not have the software available immediately, so it would be helpful to learn another method of setting up a Wi-Fi hotspot without using any software. Through this tutorial, you will learn how to set up a Wi-Fi hotspot using simple commands on command prompt.
It is important to note that this method will work on all versions of Windows OS i.e. Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8 etc.
Steps to set up a wi-fi hotspot :
- Run command prompt with administrator privileges—Press Ctrl+X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and press OK if a prompt appears.
- Type in the following command and press enter.
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=wifihotspotname key=wifipassword
- In these commands, replace wifihotspotname with the name of you wish to give to your Wi-Fi hotspot and wifipassword with the password of your Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Now the name and password of your hotspot is set but to start it , you have to type the following command :
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
At this step, your hotspot should start transmitting and will be visible to nearby Wi-Fi enabled devices. You can even connect to it and transfer files across devices etc. If you wish to share your internet connection, then you need to share your internet connection. Needless to say, you do need a Wi-Fi adapter plugged in to follow all these steps.
How to Share Internet Connection ?
- Open Network and sharing Centre. Right click on Internet icon on right bottom of your desktop and choose Open Network & sharing centre.
- On the next window. Click on the blue text in front of Connections: , this is your active internet connection. A new window will pop up.
- In this new window, click on Properties and another Window will pop up(windows in Windows huh !)
- Go to the sharing tab and select the text box which says “Allow other network users…” and then press OK button.
- Now your internet connection is shared. Note: You will have to follow this step if you switch to a new connection.
How to Connect:
Just connect to your Wi-Fi hotspot using any Wi-Fi-enabled device. The SSID and password will be the same as you entered above.
You may like to read Watch Star Wars on Command Prompt
How to stop the hotspot:
You can just plug out your Wi-Fi adapter or type in the following command to bring adapter to normal mode:
netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
You may like to read Block Advertisements in uTorrent the Easy Way
You can save yourself from having to type all that command every time you want to make a hotspot. If you download the below file then you only have to type in the first command for specifying name and password of Wi-Fi. You do not have to command that type ever again unless you have to change name/password etc.
By just double clicking the downloaded file you will be able to start/stop your WiFi hotspot. Two files are present in the package below, 1) Start.bat to start your hotspot & 2) Stop.bat to stop your WiFi hotspot.
[sociallocker] Download [/sociallocker]
Note: There would be a pop-up asking you for admin privileges. This did not appear before because we started command prompt with Administrator privileges already given. To avoid this, make a shortcut for the file on your desktop then Right Click shortcut file > Properties > Advanced and check “Run as administrator”.
You may like to read Check Password Behind Dots [Gmail]
I hope this little tutorial helped you become a geek and you learned something new and creative. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them my mail or using the comments below.
Have a nice day !
Liked This Post ?
Think how much you can learn with more such posts..Get updated in your inbox right away.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.